Friday, September 16, 2011



2011.30/52

Ohio Valley Cyclocross Poster

I created the OVCX logo as well as the posters and aesthetics for the website back in 2009. You can see some of my past posters here.

With the logo I wanted to pair a contemporary, clean logotype (with a hint of speed and sportiness) with the idea of a caution tape containing device (a cyclocross race course is typically lined with caution tape, watch some racing here).

In previous years I wanted to hint at nostalgia by mimicking a classic cyclocross poster using illustration. Last year I gave it a bit of an aggressive street art edge. But this year I've been very busy and I wanted to make it easy on myself.

So I collaborated with Dion Easthouse of VeloVivid.com, who has an incredible eye for the dramatic. Dion shoots incredible photos with shallow depth-of-field and vibrant colors. Like myself, he also captures images with a nostalgic edge. The image we selected for this poster shows a rider grinding through the mud and snow, captured in a warm black and white which compliments the yellow caution tape quite nicely.

I gave it a bit of an exaggerated trompe l'oeil effect by having the rider interact with the caution tape holding device. I thought this would be fun bursting off of a bike shop window.

No comments: